Moore vs Harper
- In Moore v. Harper, the Supreme Court will decide whether the North Carolina Supreme Court has the power to strike down the legislature’s illegally gerrymandered congressional map for violating the North Carolina Constitution. The legislators have argued that a debunked interpretation of the U.S. Constitution — known as the “independent state legislature theory” — renders the state courts and state constitution powerless in matters relating to federal elections.
Gerrymandering = In representative democracies, gerrymandering is the political manipulation of electoral district boundaries with the intent of creating undue advantage for a party, group, or socio-economic class within the constituency. The manipulation may consist of “cracking” or “packing”.
- It was Patrick Henry that did this first unsuccessfully by trying to stop Madison from being elected to the Congress.
- Dividing Congressional Districts in geographical way is a massively dumb idea.
- Moore vs Harper
- WHY DID THE COURT (SCOTUS) TAKE THE CASE? The Supreme Court has not explained why it decided to take the case, although that’s not unusual. However, some justice’s statements at earlier points in the case shed some light. When the Supreme Court denied emergency relief to the gerrymanderers in March, three justices — Justices Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas, and Neil Gorsuch — voiced support for the theory, as they had previously done in other dissenting opinions in 2020 elections cases. A fourth justice — Brett Kavanaugh — voted to leave the court-approved map in place for the 2022 elections, but he said that he saw “serious arguments” on both sides.
- They wanted these people sworn in to do their solemn duty.
- There wasn’t some nameless paper voting.
- It was a momentous decision and the STATE signed off on it.
- Not just a bunch of random people that wondered in to vote for FREE stuff.
- The courts do not get to draw the congressional districts.
- If the court sides w/ Moore and they use the same as they did w/ Dobbs, this is a counter-revolution.
- It will rollback Obergefell and many many others.
- If THIS SCOTUS sides w/ Moore, the left will truly lose it!
- You think Florida is on a roll now, if Moore wins DeSantis will run with this!
- Brown v Board of Education none of those matter but they refer to the states, states must admit minorities to the voting process.
- It doesn’t say you FAVOR one over the other just that you have to admit them in.